Monday, August 10, 2009

Doing something manly.......

Looking down at the city,
looking up at Pikes Peak~~

Shai does not have many opportunities to do manly things. With no father, and my brothers and father so far away, I have to try to compensate for this hole in her upbringing. Many years ago I decided I would teach her how to fish. That sounds manly, doesn't it? Well after many summers out at many lakes and streams we have never caught a thing. I mean NEVER! To say the least these trips have come to represent a day in the sun playing near water in the mountains. Shai likes to catch minnows. She has great speed and agility and can usually catch them. (We call her, "The Minnow Catcher") We always take our friend Leann with us. She seems to enjoy getting her dose of manly activity also!
Today we went up Pikes Peak to fish at one of three lakes. We got up early and hit the road by 7:40. Shai was excited to get her chance at the minnows!
Leann catching her first fish!
This is the happy dance after catching her first fish......
Shai caught a fish too. She does not think it counts because she used my rod and I cast it out. But she hooked it, reeled it in, and got it in the net on her own. I think that counts as her first fish!
I don't really do fish. So, yes, I am wearing a gardening glove to get the hook out of the fish.
So now for the scenery.
Is it not beautiful.
It is hard to believe but there is still snow on the peak in early August!


For years we have never caught fish. Today we caught 4. Lets chalk this one up as a success!

1 comment:

  1. its so beautiful there . . . I am going to have to join into the manly adventures too soon I am afraid. Can i borrow the glove?? Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete